Pages

Monday 14 May 2012

Shang-high

I have just finished my last trip to Shanghai and am comfortably back home in the UK. I have made no secret that China and Shanghai have not been my favourite places in the world, but from a photography point of view the place is a treasure trove of opportunity. One thing you have to do when in Shanghai is go to the top of the World Financial Centre which is currently the 3rd tallest building in the world. The picture in the post was taken from the walkway at the very top of the tower and the view is spectacular.

From the very top you can see the never ending sprawl that is Shanghai and you realise what an immense place it is that goes on and on and on. You have to wonder how a city this large can function and not collapse under its own weight. The view from this side of the building is the most interesting as it looks over the river and the main part of the financial district. The main point of interest being the Pearl Tower which used to be the tallest building in Shanghai before it was overtaken by countless others. This view is pretty cool and from up there in the heavens the city actually looks like somewhere you would want to be, but unfortunately not for me. Some people love it, others not so much and not everywhere suits everyone. Hong Kong, Seoul - both major Asian cities that I really loved, but Shanghai is not for me. But even though I did not find the place to my liking I will not forget my time in China and some of the amazing things I have been able to see, especially the Great Wall and the Forbidden City in Beijing and also Tiananmen Square with all its history was an incredible place to be.

So this is the last of my pictures from Shanghai for a while, I have thousands from my visits to China and I may revisit them in the future but I need to let some time pass before I look at them again so I can appreciate them with rose tinted specs. My next trip takes me back to Wales for some down time in the camper van before heading off to Taiwan. I am looking forward to this one, and hopefully will get some great pictures from the top of the second tallest building in the world, the Taipei 101.


No comments:

Post a Comment