Pages

Saturday 23 June 2012

Here today Skorne tomorrow.

Hi Folks

I am off on my travels again for a few weeks working in Taiwan, so hobby time will have to take a break for a while, so thought I would just post up something before going. I have again been a little distracted and have moved off my painting plan. The Ork Mek models have been finished and I now have a completed list of Kans and Deff Dreds and i'll post up some pictures of them when I return. Over the last week I have been distracted by some Warmachine/Hordes stuff and this was compounded by a recent visit to my mothers..... I am originally from Burton On Trent and there is an amazing games shop there called Spirit Games. I spent much of my pocket money in this shop when I was a lad and its a gamers dream, I can spent hours (and a lot money given the chance) in there, they have everything for every game system there is. Right from D&D books, board games, card games, every miniatures game system the full works. If there was a gamers paradise then this place is it, if you are ever in that neck of the woods then you need to pay them a visit, just make sure you take a credit card.

So when I went to see my mother I thought I would pop in and have a browse, well browsing turned to buying when I found that they had a Skorne starter set and the faction book. I have been thinking about starting a Horde faction for a while and I really love the Skorne models, the war beasts are amazing models and some of the Warrior units are pretty awesome too. So with my resistance slowly slipping away and 60 quid burning a hole in my back pocket I left the shop with the smell of the old game shop of my youth in my nostrils and a bunch of new models to paint, because I figured the large pile of unpainted models in boxes I have wasn't enough already.

The box comes with the caster and two Cyclops light war beasts and one heavy war beast, I thought I would start by just painting one of the light beasts. This set contains the plastic versions of the models and I haven't painted up any of the plastics yet so was interested to see what they are like. I have to say, I am not that impressed, they are still great models but its not like the GW plastic, its a kind of resin type plastic. Not quite FW resin, but almost in-between true plastic and resin, it has almost a rubbery feel. It took a lot of cleaning, and I hate cleaning models and probably didn't do it justice as I was eager to get paint on the thing.

The paint also goes on a bit shiny, of course this can be cured with a coat of matt varnish, this model isn't varnished yet as it was raining when I finished and you should never varnish when there is moisture in the air as it can make the varnish go cloudy and ruin your newly painted model. I went for a traditional Skorne paint scheme of gold rimmed red armour. I am pleased with the result and am looking forward to getting the rest of the starter set done so I can have my first battles on the Horde side.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment